Monday, June 7, 2010

To DIY for...Chalkboard frame

Hi everyone! My name is Debbie and I have a little business called I Spy Design Eye (http://www.ispydesigneye.blogspot.com/).  I do redesign, personal home shopping as well as home staging. Along with that, I have a blog that I like to post DIY tutorials as well as design inspiration on. My thanks goes out to Liz, for asking me to contribute to her great blog!! I hope you enjoy this tutorial!

I'm a complete nerd for a functional DIY project, so when I was walking around my local Michael's art store I came up with making a little chalkboard that I could use to write little messages on. It was a VERY simple project that anyone can make and can also be made as large as you'd like. My project below came out to $15 with everything included (I already had the glue gun, but you can pick one up for next to nothing at any local art store or W-Mart).




Step 1: Purchase a frame in any size


Step 2: Purchase a basic chalkboard that is about a 1/4" smaller than the frame (just make sure that the chalkboard is larger than the opening for the picture)


Step 3: Using a hot glue gun (for much larger/heavier projects use small screws for the four corners) dispense glue around the wood frame of the entire chalkboard and press down onto back of frame until dry (will take a few seconds)


Step 4: Attach either a frame hook to the back using the tiny nails the kit comes with or for smaller projects, use the tab off a can and hot glue it to the back of the frame (low enough so that it doesn't show when hung)


Step 5: Flip it around and check out your awesome 5 minute project!


Step 6: Hang on wall


Step 7: Write a note to your guests (this pic was obviously taken a while ago)!





1 comment:

  1. I see this is like cooking. I know how to follow a recipe. I just have a problem with the creativity part.

    p.s. I've given you an award. Come and get it:
    http://bettycrapper.blogspot.com/2010/06/versatile-blogger.html

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! They mean a lot to me.